How do I get around Oahu without a car?
Welcome to your Oahu vacation! Navigating the island without a car might seem daunting, but fear not—there are plenty of
Welcome to your Oahu vacation! Navigating the island without a car might seem daunting, but fear not—there are plenty of transportation options. From public transportation to scenic biking paths and leisurely walks through charming neighborhoods, Oahu offers a plethora of ways to explore.
For those moments when you do need a car, whether for a day trip or to venture off the beaten path, Hui Car Share offers a convenient and reliable solution. Let’s dive into the range of transportation options to explore Oahu, with Hui as your trusty companion when four wheels are in order.
Car-free transportation options
Public Transportation: TheBus, Oahu’s public transportation system, includes an extensive network across the entire island. At $3.00 for a single fare (effective 1/1/2023) or $30.00 for a 7-day pass, this affordable option can take you to popular attractions, local neighborhoods and scenic spots. Pick up a HOLO card for easy payment.
Biking and Walking: For the eco-conscious traveler, biking and walking are fantastic ways to soak in Oahu’s sights at a leisurely pace. Rent a bike from Biki, with 1,300 bikes at over 130 self-service “Biki Stops”. Walking through neighborhoods like Waikiki and downtown Honolulu unveils hidden gems, local shops, and delectable eateries.
Ridesharing Services: Uber and Lyft operate on Oahu, offering a convenient option for covering distances that might be too long for walking or biking. These services are particularly useful when exploring areas beyond the reach of public transportation.
But . . . . sometimes you just need a car!
With all these transportation options, however, sometimes you just need a car on Oahu! Whether you plan to transport bulky items or just want the convenience and privacy of your own vehicle, that’s where Hui comes in.
As a locally owned car share service with 170 vehicles at 65 stations across the island, Hui offers a flexible, cost-effective way to get around. Bookings can be made by the hour or day, all done through the convenience of the Hui Car Share mobile app.
How Hui Car Share differs from traditional rental:
- On-Demand Access: Picking up a traditional rental car can often involve long waits at a rental counter. With the Hui mobile app, you can unlock and drive your reserved vehicle within minutes. On-demand access ensures you spend less time on paperwork and more time on the beach. Or in the mountains. Or finding treasures at a cute local boutique. Wherever you choose to enjoy your vacation!
- Flexibility: Hui offers flexible booking by the hour or the day, 24/7. Pick up a car for a couple hours or for a full day’s trip. Need to extend your rental? That can be done in the app. (As long as there’s no one booked after you.)
- Transparent Pricing with Gas Included: Traditional car rentals can come with hidden fees, including fuel costs or insurance. Hui simplifies the process with transparent pricing and gas and insurance included. (See our Member Agreement for more details.)
- Eco-Friendly: Hui contributes to a more sustainable travel experience by promoting shared mobility. By reducing the number of vehicles on the road, Hui aligns with the growing trend of eco-conscious travel.
Hui Car Share and other transportation options:
Like peanut butter and jelly or ketchup and fries, Hui is the perfect complement to car-free transportation options on Oahu. Here are a few examples of how Hui can seamlessly fit into your Oahu adventure:
- Catch a shuttle, TheBus or Uber/Lyft from Daniel K. Inouye International Airport to your hotel in Waikiki.
- Book a Hui for a few hours and drive to Diamond Head for an early morning hike.
- Ride a Biki around Ala Moana and Kakaako to check out all the foodie spots.
- Enjoy time by the hotel pool, sipping drinks and not paying for a rental car to sit in the lot!
- Book a Hui for a day trip around the island, with stops along the North Shore. Psst, we love the Grand Circle Island Tour from Shaka Guide, a self-guided audio tour!
Tips for Using Hui Car Share:
- Plan Ahead: Check the Hui app for iOS or Android for available vehicles and plan your journey accordingly, especially during peak hours.
- Explore Beyond Tourist Hotspots: Hui allows you to venture off the beaten path and discover local gems that may be less accessible by other transportation means. Looking for ideas? Follow us on Instagram for the Hui team’s favorite spots.
- Stay Connected: Ensure your phone is charged, and you have a data connection to seamlessly use the Hui app for unlocking and ending your trip.
If you’re wondering how to get around Oahu without a car, there are plenty of options. For the times you do need a set of wheels, Hui Car Share will get you where you need to go. See you on the road!